Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Love? or Lust?

You're 17 years old, not even considered a legal adult in the eyes of the law, you're considered inadequate to be able to make an effective decision for your benefit. If you're not even considered an adult, can you really even love someone? Do you even know what true love is? My idea of true love is that you'd lay everything on the line just to make someone happy even if that means a life without you. Yet, teenagers everyday are getting together, breaking up, and hooking up; do they know what love is?

I honestly feel the word is thrown around all over the place, that sometimes it loses it's meaning. I love my mom, dad, and sisters, but I also love M&M's. Is it the same kind of love, of course not, or are there different levels in which you love something or someone?
In high school, do you ever really know what true love is? Can you love someone one month and another the next? I truly believe that some high schoolers do and can find love while in high school, but it's extremely rare. I find that most teens are in lust more than in love. You can of course care about someone, but are you really in love? Would you give up everything for that person, better yet would they do the same for you?

The brain doesn't fully develop until the age of 25, for the average person. Girls are more prone to developing and maturing early, while boys take a longer time. So can the average teenage boy really be in love? I'm not to sure myself, I feel that some definitely can be, but a lot of them say that they love the girl they're with because there's nothing else to say. They're almost expected to say it when they're in a relationship.

My view on this? I think it's rather rare to be truly in love in high school, is it possible, yes, but is it likely, no. I think I'm too young to know exactly what love is, I know I've had an attraction to guys and that I've liked them, but I would not say I've ever been in love. I think you don't even have to ask yourself if you're in love or not, you just know when you're with the right person. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think you can only love one person and then you're with them for the rest of your life, I think you can love multiple people, but sometimes it's on a different level of love. You love the guy as a brother, or a friend, but not as your bf. In high school there's so many people that you haven't met. Why is everyone so quick to say 'I love you' when they may not even know what that really means?

xoxo KKSM

1 comment:

  1. I've read a couple of your blog posts, I'm a dude, one of the slower to mature sex. I was taught of three types of love, agape, eros, philia. All of those are in greek. Philia means brotherly and sisterly love. Eros is a sexual love (similar to lust). Agape means unconditional love. I think to truly love someone it has to be a mix of all three. I believe unconditional is the hardest to achive.

    ReplyDelete